Thursday, December 3, 2009

Reason 2,612 the Media loves Bruce Boudreau

It's bad times at the Washington Times right now. Yesterday the paper announced it plans to cut about 40% of its staff, and the Sports section could very well disappear.

Corey Masisak is the Times' beat reporter for the Caps, and one of the longer-serving and better reporters to cover the team on a daily basis (and a Maryland grad, to boot). His Twitter feed (@cmasisak22) is a must-have for in-game commentary and other Caps-related information.

If things play out as expected at the Times, Corey may very well be out of a job in the next few days/weeks. Tonight, however, he was at the game, the first Caps home game since news of the impending cuts was broken.

After his press conference, as everyone was filing out, Bruce Boudreau called out to Corey to ask him to step outside for a moment. I can't say what the conversation was about, as it was meant to be private and the other reporters kept it that way, but as the door closed I did hear Bruce say "I just heard..." with a very concerned voice.

I don't know what the relationships between coaches and reporters are at other NHL teams, or really at other local professional sports franchises, but I find it amazing and heartening to know that Boudreau is plugged into local news, knows what's going on and how it's going to affect the reporters he deals with on a daily basis, and cares about it.

If Corey does get laid off, he won't be out of work for long; some intelligent news organization, be it in this area or elsewhere, will pick him up. Nonetheless, the fact that Boudreau took the time to speak with Corey personally and show his support (again, I presume) speaks volumes about his character and the positive relationship between the Caps organization and the media, of all types.

No comments:

Post a Comment